Monday, October 31, 2011

The Lineman's Wife

It's not the easiest job being married to a lineman, probably not the hardest either.


When I look at my husband I see a man, a real man. The hours he works, day after day.  The drive he makes every week, if we're lucky, just to see his family for a day.  To provide for his family, to do something more than just slide by.


It's not easy work, it's physical and it's dirty.  Trust me I wash those clothes every week, twice!  Let's face it it's not exactly safe. No matter how safe & smart you work when you're working with electricity, cranes, giant poles, and steel structures.  Shit happens.  If that wasn't bad enough I worry about him when he's on the road, especially in the winter when he's driving through the snow storms just to see us for a night.


They've got him working 7 days right now and it makes me crazy.  Crazier.  Then BAM snow storm in the northeast! He hasn't said anything about any guys headed that way and I haven't asked.  They've got a deadline of November 8th on this job.  He's planning on taking a week off, he'll be deer hunting, but at least he'll be home every night! I love me some lineman! If he goes East I will hurt someone.


Knowing what I know now I wouldn't do anything different, but whew....I was not prepared.


It's a long standing joke with the lineman that you've got to be divorced at least once before you can become a journeyman....gee that's reassuring!  I can see why.  It takes an incredibly strong marriage to survive this.  There can be no trust issues, it won't work, this is not for you!  There's lots of lonely nights.  A storm will have an entirely different meaning to you.  It may mean that you don't get to see your husband for months.  Day where you'll be lucky if you get to have more that a five minute conversation with him.  Not because he doesn't care about your day, which is what you'll think, but because he's too exhausted and all he wants to do is get a shower, get something to eat, and get to bed. In that order. 


One of the hardest things for me is going to functions alone...sucks....sucks...sucks!  When he's home I attempt to drag him with me everywhere.  He just wants to relax at home.  I just want people to know I have a husband.  I told him tonight that I wasn't looking forward to doing the whole trick or treating thing by myself.  His reply?  "Oh, it's not that bad"  Uh yeah....because you're not the one who has to do it.  Sometimes it's good to have miles between us.

2 comments:

  1. Loved your blog. I thought at once of Glen Campbell's "Wicheta Lineman". About the lonliness...giving everything to the company...I like that you don't only see how difficult it is for you but give balance to the price that you both have to pay. I think you are both very strong. Looking forward to your next blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete