Saturday, November 19, 2011

Just One More Level

My eight year old just breaks out in sporadic conversations like "I don't know what I'm supposed to do. I walk in the door and everybody just starts coming at me and stuff." Huh? Who? Where?  I give him the look, the look that says "Kid, you're not right."  He says, "You know on my video game.."  I say, "Stop, I don't know what you're talking about and I can't help you.  He stomps off and I'm left mentally cussing my husband for starting this craziness in the first place. 


 It started young, like a little mouth Logan was attracted to the video games. Back then he was all about the lit up power button. He'd crawl his little chubby but over there and push that button. Never heard grown men whine so much in my life.  I miss those days (sigh) somehow they don't think it's cute when I do it.


I remember expressing my concerns...I don't think these games are age appropriate for him, I don't think he needs to be watching them as you play, blah, blah, blah..


Eight years later the man who started it all, his Dad, doesn't have to deal with it and I've become the "Video Game Nazi".  I've got an eight year old who lives & breathes video games...  I do try to set limits...I said an hour a day, he looked at me like I killed his dog.  I've busted him at 6:00 a.m. playing video games.  Once his Dad took the XBOX to work with him for an entire week, talk about withdrawals...like a little crack head.  He cried, I mean sobbed.


It's a constant battle with us.  My usually even tempered, easy going guy turns into a crazed lunatic when it comes to shutting it off.  What do you think?  What is a appropriate amount of time for an eight year old to be playing?

1 comment:

  1. Read this http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2001/aug/19/games.schools

    ReplyDelete